Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Dramarama

So, there has been some drama involving the girls' basketball team at school as of late. The 3nensei have already stopped playing sports at the end of summer, due to the fact that they are now drowning themselves with studying for this and that in order to get into high school. Anyway, so that leaves the sports teams with only 1nensei and 2nensei. With the way things work in Japan, the 2nensei get to play a lot more than the 1nensei in the matches against other schools because, well, they are the senpai. This may not seem fair, but that's just how things work in a country that values seniority so highly. Well, things have been working out fine this way at Kizaki until now. Apparently, the 1nensei girls are pretty skilled at basketball because many of them started playing a few years ago while they were still in elementary school. The 2nensei girls, however, are not as skilled. See where I'm going with this? Well, many of the 1nensei girls' parents have requested that their kids get to play in the matches over the 2nensei girls. And, oh yes, the parents are quite pushy about this. Lemme tell you now, the PTA/parents in general in Japan have A LOT of influence over what goes on at school, sometimes too much me thinks. Anyway, this has created a huge headache for Ishioka sensei, the girls' basketball coach. The basketball team is now in “recess” until this situation gets resolved, meaning NOBODY gets to play in ANY games. SAD.

I'm not sure how I feel about this as I think I've been in Japan for too long. What do you think?

Oh yeah, onto other amusing news. I've just been told to write a script in which I'll be video conferencing MYSELF in class. Yes, that's right; I get to talk to myself...as someone else, of course...thru the magic of video editing? My JTE said that I may have to rehearse the dialogue before he films me, as he's planning to run the video non-stop while I'm talking to myself over the screen in front of the students. How nice that the principal will be there to observe this class as well. Hmm, I have a feeling this might turn out to be disastrous. Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home