In Less than a Week
I'll be back home! Woot! I'm getting more and more excited! It's a good way to mark the end of my first year here in Japan.
Oh yeah, here's what's been going on...
Last Saturday, Jeff, Ann and I went to Tokyo to see Movin' Out, the musical composed of Billy Joel's music. Let me tell you, his music is quite amazing. Seriously. I was surprised at how many of the songs I recognized! Anyway, Movin' Out is more of a modern ballet than a musical, as the cast dances to Billy Joel's songs, sung by a guy who plays the piano on the stage above. The guy who actually sang was the understudy, but I wouldn't have traded him for anyone else (other than Billy Joel, of course). He was fantastic, as his voice was soulful and moving.
After the show, we went to Yoyogi Koen to see Gay Pride. Um, it was the saddest parade I've EVER seen. It was weird to see just how organized and QUIET Pride was. Also, no pictures were allowed as people feared getting outted to their friends/familes?? UMMM. One shouldn't attend Pride if he/she's afraid of getting outted! What's the point?! Anyway, we went to Starbucks to kill time and judged pedestrians. After we returned to Pride, it was a lot better and we saw some interesting characters, indeed. That night, we had dinner at a Japanese/French restaurant called L'Artemis. It got a good review on The Japan Times, so we decided to give it a go. The meal was good, although we had the slowest service EVER. We suspected that they were slow so that we would order more drinks; we wouldn't budge. After eating more than should be legal, we trained home.
On Monday, I met up with Takaagi sensei to go the Ojima Neputa Matsuri (festival). I couldn't ride my bike while wearing my yukata (summer cotton kimono) to meet her so I asked to change at her house. She ended up taking me to her mother-in-law's home so that her mother-in-law could put it on properly? Whoa. Didn't think it was that big of a deal. After the transformation and half a dinner (yes, don't expect to go into a Japanese home and not be forced fed), we headed for the matsuri. It turns out Takaagi sensei knows everyone...and I mean everyone...at the matsuri! She's been living in Ojima for 20 years and her husband is a huge matsuri aficionado (he was one of the performers). So yes, we passed by tons of people and many knew who she was. It was sweet b/c I got to pretend to play the drums and took a picture with some random performers who knew Takaagi sensei. Yes, nice to have connections, indeed. We met up with Jeff, Mami and I got to meet one of the new JETs, Glenn, for the first time. It was fun. We did as you do at a matsuri and then headed home. It was nice to be Japanesey. Everyone was so friendly.




From Wednesday through Friday, I attended the Maebashi Orientation for new JETs as a volunteer. All in all, it was good times. I like the new bunch. They seem like a fun crowd. Sadly, there aren't many cute boys this year, but then again, they'd end up having Japanese girlfriends anyway. A few of us ended up at the hotel lobby seats both nights, looking like losers, but making some interesting observations. Yes yes, shall be an interesting year.
On Saturday, Jeff, Ann and I went to AEON to see Superman Returns. It was...eh. A bit slow for a superhero movie, in my opinion. Still better than X3, tho. I need to see a good movie soon, as most movies have been pretty disappointing lately. I need to catch up on some indie flicks!
I really can't believe I'm going home on Saturday. It still doesn't seem real to me. This year has gone by really quickly. I keep repeating myself. I feel like not much has changed, but then again, I think I'll be saying that for years to come. Hmm. What would really make me think that a lot has changed? Marriage, kids, perhaps? I dunno. That's something too far-fetched to fathom at this point. For now, I will just have to deal with the dilemma of which TV show to download next. Ah, the woes of being an ALT.
Thought of the day:
Who actually enjoys packing and cleaning? If you've answered yes to either jobs, I want to hire you.
1 Comments:
Cindy it is hard to believe you will be in town next weekend! I am so excited, I hope I'll be able to see you a few times. I have class Tues/Wed till 7pm.
you look adorable in your yukata!
Post a Comment
<< Home