Osaka and Back!!!
Kay, so I'm finally posting up pictures from my trip to Osaka last weekend. I came back from Hong Kong on the 31st of Dec., celebrated New Year's by going to Meiji-jingu (shrine) in Tokyo with some JETs, then went back to school for a few days before heading off again on my trip to Osaka, from the 6th thru the 9th. Actually, I took the overnight bus there from Tokyo. Thus, I had to leave from Ota to Tokyo (which took 2 1/2 hrs by train), then take the overnight bus from Tokyo to Osaka (which took 8 hrs). Yeah, I know. Originally, I was supposed to head there w/ Ann, but unfortunately, she caught a stomach virus the day before so she couldn't go with me. Sad! It would've been cool if she could've gone, but it was still nice to see a couple of my host families again and to re-visit places I had been to before. (Btw, I participated in a homestay program 3 1/2 years ago so I have like 6 host families in Osaka!) Seriously, half my suitcase was filled with omiyage (souvenirs) for them! But yeah, I only got to see a couple of them as everyone was away for the long weekend. Anyway, enjoy the pictures below as I've decided that I can't be bothered to recount my Hong Kong nor my Osaka trip in words.

Ebisu-bashi in Osaka City

I know this clown is famous for some reason....

The five-storied pagoda in Nara

A picture with the "college student" tour guide my host family set me up with. My host dad was as surprised as I was.

A very orange picture at one of the numerous shrines in Nara.

There are lots and lots of freely roaming deer in Nara. Word of advice: Don't try feeding them as I did or you might get attacked....or worse yet, bitten like I was!! (Note: That is NOT dandruff in my hair...it's snow!)

My token picture at Kobe....

My host brother and his family. We had sukiyaki that night...mm mmm!

My host family's dog, Giro. Is that not the BIGGEST dog you've ever seen in your life?! The first time I stayed with them, I was freakin' SHOCKED at his size...might as well be a wolf!!

A picture with my host dad, mom, sister, brother and his kids.

A picture with my other host mom and dad. This host mom is half Australian and half Japanese...thank goodness for fluent English speakers!

My host brother (who I hadn't met last time but apparently is hot!) and his friends at their Seijinshiki...a Japanese Coming of Age Celebration for all those who turn 20 years old on that calender year. Hmm...20 years old isn't THAT young, right? Haha.

As you can see from the elaborate kimonos that the girls are wearing, a Seijinshiki is a BIG event...think of it as their version of prom, but even MORE important. The girls spend numerous hours choosing the right kimono, doing their hair, nails, just every detail you can imagine. I was SO impressed by all the beautiful kimonos I saw that day...

This girl has a more traditional hair-do...isn't the detail just amazing?!

Finally, my token picture of Shijo-dori in the Gion District at Kyoto....just like in Memoirs of a Geisha! Hehe.
1 Comments:
I want a hot host brother!
Post a Comment
<< Home