Fire Drill


Today I experienced my first fire drill in Japan. First, let me talk about my boring-as day. The students had testing from 1st thru 5th period. What does that mean for Shindy? That means that I pretty much sat around the entire day. Oh wait, I forgot. I did read aloud a few sentences and some dialogues with the JTEs over the PA for the listening part of the tests. It was fun! I agree with Jeff...it's much better this way b/c we don't have to deal with the kids' attitudes yet we are still "educating" them with our excellent English ability. Hahaha. So yeah, I was reading the dialogue at "normal" pace b/c my JTEs asked me to but I really don't think the kids got any of it. Heck, they have a hard time understanding, "How are you doing?" b/c they are so used to hearing "How are you?" Sad, very sad. I tried teaching them "What's up?" today and they were as confused as ever.
Anyway, for lunch we had the fried, powdered bread that Jeff had mentioned in his blog. It was yummy but also a heart attack waiting to happen. It reminds me of food back at home. =) Aww...I miss getting my arteries clogged. Where are the hole-in-the-wall mexican joints in Japan when you crave a load of carne asada fries with extra guacamole??
So yeah, we had our fire drill during 6th period. My JTE told me that in Japan, the teachers advise the students to walk calmly while inside the building, but run as fast as they possibly can once outside the building. Hmm...the philosophy is a bit different back at home. Right before the fire drill, my JTE held this long stick thingy...sorta looks like Poseidon's trident...w/o the middle part...does that make it a bident?? Anyway, she said it is used to fight off strangers who enter the school. Damn, I'm glad I wore my name badge today. "Yes, I belong here if you hadn't noticed!" So today's fire drill wasn't for the purpose of running from fires or earthquakes, it was to practice running away from strangers who enter the school, then keeping your distance from them by poking them with a bident. I took pictures but for some reason I am unable to post pictures on my blog. I will look into it when I get a chance...more like when I don't feel lazy...which means...you'll probably never see a picture on this blog. J/k...well, we'll see. Anyway, one of the teachers put on a surgical mask, a beanie, and carried a plastic baseball bat with him. I think he was supposed to be the "stranger." Hahaha. Omigosh...I couldn't stop laughing. Just picture all of this in your head...soo freakin' hilarious! The fire drill began and the students started running while still inside the building. Directions, follow directions, people! I think they were confused. Maybe they thought they were supposed to run while inside the building and walk when they get outside? I dunno...I was just laughing the entire time. So yeah, my first "fire drill" in Japan. Pretty amusing. Pretty entertaining as well. I want a bident of my own now.
Hmm..what else. Oh yes, we didn't have our usual potluck tonight. Instead, a group of us went to Ajikura for dinner. It was soo good! Ajikura serves Japanese-Italian food...which I've come to like very much. Mmm...mm. For dessert, we had black sesame cake with ice cream...omg...to die for! My blog entry wouldn't be complete w/o any mention of food. =)
Thought of the day:
I wonder what percentage of Japanese people don't wash their hands after using the toilet. You may be grossed out but I'm telling you...it happens all the time here. I see it everywhere...girls just flush the toilet, step out, fix their hair, then walk out w/o ever getting near the faucet. It's really sickening. I just noticed it again at school today. Eeek!
4 Comments:
Yep, and then those people serve you kyushoku!!! MMMM MMMMM!
K, we are def. the same person, as I taught 2nensei "What's up?" on Tuesday and it failed miserably. I thought they'd be excited to learn slang but they were just confused and didn't care. Bastards don't appreciate our cool-ness!
no way.
my fire drill today was so boring in comparison. Maybe I need a bident. I can't believe I take my kids out of the class without one. American IS scary.
you said the magic words "carne asada... with guacamole"... damn I miss that stuff so badly!
I taught the Korean boys "what's up?" just cause that's what I always say!!
I'd say 90%. This is a set-in-stone fact.
Post a Comment
<< Home