Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Another Weekend in Tokyo






Van arrived Saturday afternoon at Narita Airport and we spent the weekend in Tokyo. It was nice that Ann came with me or else it would've been a long long train ride by myself. Thanks, Ann! Anyway, we had a really good time just checking things out and exploring Tokyo. When I say exploring, I mean exploring...since I had no idea where anything really was. Thank goodness for the Lonely Planet and good recommendations...thanks, Emily! Anyway, we headed to Shibuya Saturday night and just people watched from the second floor of Starbucks. I'm such a good tour guide...the first place I take Van after she arrives is Starbucks...b/c we all know there aren't enough of 'em back at home. We had ramen afterwards...at a place where you order your food from a ticket machine outside, then take the ticket in the restaurant and they serve you. It was nice b/c we just left as soon as we were done eating. Anyway, we just walked around and bought a few little things after that. Ann and I decided we needed dessert before we headed to our hotel just because one always does while in Japan. We each had a crepe. Bad idea. We felt like we were gonna explode after that. Anyway, I found a hotel in the Lonely Planet called "Hotel Asia Center of Japan." Funny name but awesome hotel!! They have all-you-can-take complimentary toiletries and water bottles! Well, maybe not all-you-can-take but unfortunately for them, they had me as a guest. Muahahaha.

The next day we went to Roppongi. For some reason or another, I had a scone from Starbucks. Damn...I just can't stay away! Anyway, as we were walking to Tokyo Tower, we were stopped at the sidewalk b/c we were walking straight into a crime scene! Sketchy-ass Roppongi! There were policemen, measuring tape, cameras, etc. When they took photos, we literally had to turn around with our backs facing the cameras. The policemen here are so nice... "Please wait here; please turn around; please pose for the camera." I can't imagine the police being so gracious back at home. Anyway, we went to Tokyo Tower and had a great view of the city from atop. Tokyo Tower sorta reminds me of the Eiffel Tower, except smaller, red, and with a lot more Asians. We then headed to Roppongi Hills and had kaiten sushi. Mmm...the toro was awesome! After that, we took the train to Asakusa. We should've just skipped lunch earlier b/c we all had ice cream, green tea, kibidango, and agemanju while in Asakusa. We tried really hard to make room for some gelato after that, but this time our stomachs really couldn't take it anymore. However, Van and I still made room in our bags for some yams. Maybe she can take it back home with her...since her mom gave her a potato to take on the plane ride here...this can be an international exchange...a potato for a potato. We came back to Ota at around 8pm, walked down the infamous hostess bar street, then into a hostess bar for dinner...wait, I mean izakaya. We went to Ikyuu...the food was excellent but the service was horrible as expected. There ends our exciting weekend in Tokyo. This was the 5th time I've gone in the past two months. I should really take a break or else I will go broke...as I am now. Who am I kidding? I will be back again soon enough. I began typing this post thinking it would be short...um, yeah...sorry.

Thought of the day:

Why do some Japanese girls walk like penguins? I don't understand why they wobble from side to side while walking. Van thinks it may be b/c of the heels they wear but I don't think so. I've seen many Japanese girls with comfortable-looking shoes and they still walk funny. Do they think it's cute and delicate to do so? Hmm...I better ask a Japanese girl...one that won't get offended. "Um, excuse me, why do you walk like a penguin??"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit Cindy, I was going to try to lure you into Tokyo next weekend to do a bit of shopping...

I asked a Japanese lady about the penguin/pigeon thing, and she said it was to do with being lady-like. Men walk with their legs wide apart and feet facing outwards, and women walk like maimed birds. Brilliant.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Cindy Ng said...

Hahaha. Jenny, this is why you need to start a blog...so that people can benefit from your English charm.

If we stay here long enough, will we end up walking like that? I'm scared. So yeah, about Tokyo...I dunno...we'll talk soon!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CINDY_ don't turn into a penguin. Mona and I will laugh and ridicule you mercilessly. Resist the powers the japanese citizens have over you...resist.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Cindy Ng said...

Shoot me if I start walking like a penguin.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home