Yet Another Sports Day...






Today was my chuugakkou's undoukai (sports day). It was cool b/c I got a chance to walk around and talk to the students which doesn't happen very often when class is in session. They are very shy though so I sorta have to make them speak English. I just keep buggin them until they would at least try and talk to me. Such shy Japanese kids. So cute.
There is an ichinensei, Alan, who is Brazilian and only came to Japan 10 months ago. He speaks very little Japanese...actually, I think his English is better than his Japanese. Anyway, I found out today from the assistant Portugese teacher that he has been missing school lately. Apparently he has just been sitting at home while his parents are at work. He hasn't gone to school b/c he doesn't like it since he can't understand anyone. I think he is having a very hard time adjusting to life in Japan...I'm sure any kid would, especially because he just came from Brazil, where the culture is soo different. He seems like such a bright and good kid though...I hope things will turn around for him. I ended up spending a big part of the day talking to him...he's really sweet. Aww.
I must've heard my name...well sorta my name...whispered and shouted out a million times today. "Shindee, Shindee!" That and "Hallo" are about the only English words the kids would use voluntarily. They would say my name, I'd turn around, then they'd laugh hysterically. I don't get it. Is my name that funny? It's sorta frustrating because I'd try and talk to them after they'd call me but then they'd just say, "Wakanai, wakanai!" and start speaking in Japanese again. I play dumb a lot of times and pretend I don't know what they're saying so they'd have to at least try and phrase it in English. It works...sometimes.
For lunch, we had the biggest bento box I had ever seen in my life. No joke. It was like this really nice wooden-like box filled with squid, eel, another type of fish, pickles, tempura, egg roll, rice, potato salad, etc. It was yummy but I couldn't move afterwards. Sad. Anyway, we were also served tea, Pocari Sweat (like Gatorade), a carbonated drink, and one of them crazy vitimin drinks. (Btw, I drank one this morning and that stuff works! Forget Red Bull, this stuff is the shit!) Please just don't tell me what's in it..like my recommended dosage of caffeine for the entire month??
Anyway, I also participated in a dance today where we switched partners every few steps. It was really fun to dance with the kids...only sad thing was that most of the 12 year olds were already taller than me.
Thought of the day:
If I gorge myself but then go to the gym afterwards, does that cancel each other out? If so, I'm still good. If not, I'm screwed. Jeff, I think we do need to end our relationship soon in order to prevent any need for gastric bypass surgeries in the future. Damn those yummy Japanese desserts!
1 Comments:
Take time with that Brazilian kid. That is so cool. I have learned a lot about how kids DREAD their school years when they dont speak the language.
<3
Lisa
ps- gorging + working out totally balances. Do not tell me otherwise.
Post a Comment
<< Home