Speech Contest



On Friday, we had our jr. high school speech contest for Ota. I was very excited about my kids going up and giving their English speeches but also very scared for them b/c I would pee my pants if I had to memorize and recite a 5 minute speech in Japanese. One of my kids didn't even have the speech memorized the day before! Slacker! Anyway, the speeches were actually very good. I almost teared up during one of the speeches. Jeff, your girl rocks! She should've gotten first place but instead, our supervisor's daughter got first place. Can we say conspiracy? Anyway, they had a separate category for kids who've lived abroad. This one girl was pretty much fluent in English since she lived in the states for 6 years. She was totally bashing Japan in her speech and saying how Japanese people discriminate against foreigners and that they are narrow-minded people. Whoa...it was intense, but I'm sure most of the Japanese people there had no idea what she was talking about. Sad that she feels that way about her own country though. I guess we all have issues with our homeland. My kids didn't end up placing but I gave them all gifts for their effort and hard work. I was soo proud of them!! They seemed happy in the end as well but it was sorta funny how they were sleeping through the finalists' speeches.
Update:
The day has arrived...I am FINALLY getting Yahoo BB!!! I got a letter from them on Friday saying they will arrive sometime this week to set it up. Yaay!! It's strange though because I also found out on Friday (from my friend Ann who lives in Kiryu) that they discovered a dead body in the river there. Umm, I know I said someone needed to die in order for me to get Yahoo BB but I swear I didn't do it!! Don't ask Ann either, she will say nothing!! No conspiracy here.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home