Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Long Weekend

This past weekend just flew by. On Friday night, I went to Grow Up Cafe for a welcome party for the new ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers). It was cool because I also got my assistant Portugese teacher from my school to go. Saturday was the most exciting night I've ever had in Gunma! Um...maybe not. A few of us drove from Ota to Kiryu and had a late dinner at an empty Italian restaurant. Afterwards, we went to Denny's. Ahh, Denny's. We were sitting next to all the grandmothers in town. Just so you know, Denny's in Japan isn't the same as back at home. They actually have a really nice menu and yummy-looking desserts. The ambiance is totally different. Many couples go on dates there...so I've heard. We didn't see any on Saturday night though, just grandmas. We did see some Japanese people with beautiful hair in the salon across the street. They were open till midnight. I'll try and remember that the next time I feel like getting my haircut at 11pm.

On Sunday, I went to a Japanese BBQ up in Kiryu. It was awesome!! They had good food and entertainment. It was cool to see a group of senior citizens with their own accordion band! I wish I had brought my camera. After the BBQ, we headed to Tokyo to go clubbing.

(Small note: I didn't go to Paradise Ball. I'm sure I missed out so I better get the full scoop from you, Jeff! I want stories and more stories!)

We first headed to Shibuya. This was the first time I had gone clubbing anywhere in Japan! The first club we hit was GasPanic in Shibuya. The music was good and all but there were just waay too many POSERS! It was an embarrassment to see all these Japanese people thinking they are Black. Very sad. Next, we went to Vanilla in Roppongi. Roppongi is a huge clubbing scene in Tokyo. This is where all the foreigners go. There are, of course, Japanese people as well. Vanilla has three separate rooms, each played different types of music. We mainly stayed in the hip hop room, being the Americans we are. The clubs here are open till at least 5 or 6am, not like in SD, where they close like at 2am. Anyway, long story short: we were up all night and slept for a few hours that morning in a hotel nearby. It was fun, although I'm feeling really tired at school right now. No matter, I will take a nap later.

Thought of the day:

Why do Japanese guys think they're black?! When we were at GasPanic, there was a Japanese guy that wore an over-sized shirt that read "I'M BLACK." When we were at Vanilla, a Snoop Dogg-looking Japanese guy wore a shirt that read "Compton." I just want to drop these guys off in Compton and see what happens. Maybe they'll get compliments on their shirts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha! snoop would giggle!

--lisa

ps-went to disney! read my lj post

11:07 AM  
Blogger Cindy Ng said...

Disneyland! I'm jealous! Can't wait to go to the one in Tokyo and Hong Kong!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home